Artificial intelligence and machine learning have permeated nearly all practical spheres of our lives, making them an instant sensation with new tools and models promising new things every week. Here, I try to cover this AI popular culture as it unfolds, picking important news stories and publishing them after careful deliberation.
Google has released the next major update to its Gemini LLM, now in version 1.5. Among other improvements, it brings the longest context window and quite surprisingly, near-perfect token recall even on longer context length inputs.
- Groq’s LPUs Offer Instant Generative AI ResponsesUsing new hardware, generative AI outputs have become nearly instantaneous, opening up new opportunities for AI companies.
- Google Releases Gemini 1.5 with Insanely Long Context Window & Retrieval AccuracyGoogle has released the next major update to its Gemini LLM, now in version 1.5. Among other improvements, it brings the longest context window and quite surprisingly, near-perfect token recall even on longer context length inputs.
- AI Launches Nukes in War Simulations – “We have it! Let’s use it!”AI behind modern LLMs has a tendency to escalate situations. It finds escalation the solution to most problems and threats, including launching nukes, making it unfit for use in the military before we fully understand the risks.
- Google Releases Gemini Ultra, Bard RevampedGoogle releases Gemini Ultra as part of the $20 Google One AI Premium subscription. On-par with GPT-4 now. Also releases an Android app.
- AI is Summarizing EverythingAI tools to summarize stuff are taking over the world, making our lives easier and easier. But is this overdependence that we need to be careful about?
- Microsoft’s Future of Work Report Shows the Power of GenAIMicrosoft’s latest Future of Work Report comments on how AI is reshaping how we work, presenting generative AI in an overwhelmingly positive light.
- Anthropic Trained a Rogue LLM, It Can’t Be FixedAnthropic created a bad AI to see if a poisoned AI model can be fixed using our current tech. The researchers found we can’t fix such an LLM.
- UN Secretary-General Warns Big Tech Being Reckless for AI ProfitsBig tech companies are being reckless in developing their AI products, says UN Secretary-General António Guterres at the WEF.
- Explicit Deepfakes of Taylor Swift Surface on Social Media, Cause OutrageTaylor Swift’s deepfaked images surfaced on social media, outraging everyone from fans to the White House.
- Apple Quietly Working on Local AIApple has amped up its hiring and acquisitions, working on artificial intelligence tools and models for its next generation of products with the notable feature of running locally on the machines themselves.
- Google Launches Lumiere, an AI Video GeneratorLumiere is a new offering from Google Research that can convert text or images into video clips that look stunning and practicable.
- Google Partners with Hugging Face for Open AI CollaborationGoogle Cloud will offer Hugging Face the resources to allow the platform to facilitate open-source AI capabilities and tooling.
Find stories by topic:
AI Inference AI in Military AI Supercomputer AI Training Amazon AMD Androids Anthropic Apple Autonomous Systems Azure Bard ChatGPT Copyright Elon Musk Gemini Generative AI Google Government GPT-4 GPT 3.5 Turbo Healthcare IBM Investment LLaMA Llama 2 Meta Microsoft Misuse of AI Multimodal Nvidia Open-source OpenAI PaLM 2 Policymaking Privacy Regulation Research Paper Risks of AI Safety Sam Altman Stability AI Stable Diffusion Study Tesla